Monday, March 2, 2009

On growing older

Yesterday I turned 60. I've been fairly nonchalant about birthdays for the last 35 years or so. The last time it really bothered me was my 26th birthday. I was so anxious to get to 21 and then suddenly I was turning 26. I thought 'Wait a minute, what just happened?' In four years I would be 30 and over the hill! I got over the shock and moved on with my life and the years passed with increasing velocity. And now I sit here at 60 and wonder again, 'what happened?'

I wanted to be mature, experienced, relevant, wise..... call it what you will. I just didn't want to be old! Old people are ignored, shelved, put out to pasture. I refuse to be ignored! I plan to live to be 125. When you get to be 100 people start to pay attention again.

I will not go gently either. I will go kicking and screaming!

3 comments:

  1. Welcome! Being 35 of course isn't old, but it is old enough to make a person sit up and feel unsettled. So I am with you on this. I do have a question for you... Will you keep this blog up? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I turned 50 in Jan. so I am with you on feeling old and irrelevant....especially when I'm around my surly teenagers.
    I'll join you on the going kicking & screaming thing.lol

    Keep up writing your blog. I'm following ya so give me something to read. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AGE IS A STATE OF THE MIND! Embrace your knowledge and live to that 125!

    ReplyDelete